Extension Small-Acreage Vegetable Specialist
Blog: Small Acreage Farming
Website: Vegetable Resources
Website: Small Acreage Horticultural Crops
Dr. Masabni’s area of expertise is vegetable production for small-acreage producers. Research interest is to develop production systems for high tunnel vegetables, aquaponics production, and pesticide and variety trials. Extension activities include developing online and printed materials for vegetable organic and conventional producers and homeowners, host workshops and conferences, and assist county extension agents serving Texas clienteles.
- BS, Crop and Soil Sciences, Michigan State University, 1985
- MS, Pomology, Michigan State University, 1989
- PhD, Weed Science, Michigan State University, 1998
- Assistant Professor and Extension Small-Acreage Vegetable Specialist
2008 – Present
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service
- Associate Extension Professor
University of Kentucky
- Assistant Extension Professor
July 2002 – June 2008
University of Kentucky
- 2016 AgriLife Extension Superior Service Award for ‘Texas Strawberry Project’
- 2014 Extension Communications Award: from the American Society for Horticultural Science-Southern Region, for the publication of ‘Earth-Kind Landscape Management. 2013. Gu, M., D. Woodson, B. Drees, S. George, J. Masabni, M. Nesbitt, K. Ong, T. Provin, B. Wherley, D. Welsh, G. Niu, J. Pitt, C. LaChance, C. York, R. White, J. Thomas, C. Fontanier, J. Smith, and R. Hejl.
- 2011 Extension Communications Award: from the American Society for Horticultural Science-Southern Region, for the publication of ‘Organic Vegetable Production Guide. 2010. J. Masabni and F. Dainello.
- 2010 Extension Communications Award: from the American Society for Horticultural Science-Southern Region, for the publication of ‘An IPM scouting guide for common pests of Solanaceous Crops in Kentucky’. Nov. 2008. T. Coolong, K. Seebold, R. Bessin, J. Strang, T. Jones, and J. Masabni.
- 2008 Shepard Award for the best research paper of the year: Pomper, K., S. Crabtree, D. Layne, R. Peterson, J. Masabni, and D. Wolfe. 2008. The Kentucky Pawpaw Regional Variety Trial. Journal of American Pomological Society 62(2):58-69
- 2008 Research Activity Award, University of Kentucky
- 2001 IR-4 Technical Service Award
Selected Publications (click to view publication):
- Crosby, K., D. Leskovar, J. Jifon, and J. Masabni. 2015. ‘Pacal’ Orange Casaba: A multi-disease resistant, specialty melon cultivar from Texas A&M AgriLife Research. HortScience. 50(11):1723-1725.
- Sun, Y., G. Niu, R. Wallace, J. Masabni, and M. Gu. 2015. Relative salt tolerance of seven strawberry cultivars. Horticulture 1(1):27-43.
- Sun, Y., J. Masabni, and G. Niu. 2015. Simulated Seawater Flooding Affects Growth of Ten Vegetables. HortScience 50(5):694-698.
- Zucco, M., S.A. Walters, S. Chong, B.P. Klubek, and J. Masabni. 2014. Effect of Soil Type and Vermicompost Applications on Tomato Growth. International Journal of Recycling of Organic Waste in Agriculture. 4:135-141.
- Franco, J.G., S.R. King, J. Masabni, and A. Volder. 2015. Plant Functional Diversity Improves Yields in a Low-Input Intercropping System. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment. 203:1-10.
- Wilson, P.E., D.D. Archbold, J. Masabni, and S.K. Kurtural. 2014. Crop Load Management of ‘Vidal blanc’ Improves Primary Bud Cold Hardiness and Maintains Fruit Composition in the Lower Midwestern United States. HortScience. 49(7):874-880.
- Masabni, J., S.A. Walters. 2014. Vegetable Production in the Home Garden Using Mushroom and City Compost. HortTechnology. 24(4):480-483.
- Niu, G., Y. Sun, J. Masabni, and P. Osuna. 2013. Growing bioenergy crops in marginal lands: salt tolerance and water use of potential bioenergy crops. Chapter XXI, pp. 396-412. Agricultura Organica, Sexta Parte, Red Internacional de Agricultura Organica
- Masabni, J., S.A. Walters, B.G. Young, T. Coolong. 2013. Honeyvine Milkweed (Cynanchum laeve) Control in Plasticulture Bell Pepper Production. WeedTechnology. 27(4):671-674.
- Ribera, L.A, M.A. Palma, M. Paggi, R. Knutson, J. Masabni, and J. Anciso. 2012. Economic Analysis of Food Safety Compliance Costs and Foodborne Illness Outbreaks in the United States. HortTechnology. 22(2):150-156
- Robinson, T.L., D. Wolfe, J. Masabni, R. Andersen, A, Azarenko, J. Freer, G. Reighard, P. Hirst, R. Hayden, B. McCluskey. 2010. Performance of Plum Rootstocks with ‘Stanley’, ‘Valor’, ‘Veeblue’, and ‘Santa Rosa’ Scions in the 1991 NC-140 Multi-State Plum Trial. Journal of the American Pomological Society 64(3):173-182
- Marini, R.P. B. Black, R.M. Crassweller, P.A. Domoto, C. Hampson, S. Johnson, K. Kosola, S. McArtney, J. Masabni, R. Moran, R.P. Quezada, T. Robinson, and C.R. Rom. 2009. Performance of ‘Golden Delicious’ apple on 23 rootstocks at 12 locations: A five-year summary of the 2003 NC-140 dwarf rootstock trial. J. Amer. Pom. Soc. 63:115-127
- Autio, W., T.L. Robinson, B. Black, T. Bradshaw, J.A. Cline, R.M. Crassweller, C.G. Embree, E.E. Hoover, K. Kosola, J. Masabni, M.L. Parker, R.L. Perry, G.L. Reighard, J.R. Schupp, and M. Warmund. 2008. 1999 NC-140 ‘Fuji’ and ‘McIntosh’ dwarf apple rootstock trials: An update after eight growing seasons. Compact Fruit Tree 41(1):23-25
- Autio, W., T.L. Robinson, B. Black, T. Bradshaw, J.A. Cline, R.M. Crassweller, C.G. Embree, E.E. Hoover, K. Kosola, J. Masabni, M.L. Parker, R.L. Perry, G.L. Reighard, J.R. Schupp, and M. Warmund. 2008. 1999 NC-140 ‘Fuji’ and ‘McIntosh’ semidwarf apple rootstock trials: An update after eight growing seasons. Compact Fruit Tree 41(1):26-28
- Autio, W., T. Robinson, W. Cowgill, C. Hampson, M. Kushad, J. Masabni, R. Quezada, R. Perry, and C. Rom. 2008. Performance of ‘Gala’ apple trees on Supporter 4, P.14, and different strains of B.9, M.9, and M.26 rootstocks: A five-year report on the 2002 NC-140 Apple Rootstock Trial. Journal of American Pomological Society: 62(3):119-128
- Pomper, K., S. Crabtree, D. Layne, R. Peterson, J. Masabni, and D. Wolfe. 2008. The Kentucky Pawpaw Regional Variety Trial. Journal of American Pomological Society 62(2):58-69.